Pages

August 8, 2013

The Secret Ingredient for Rich and Creamy Almond Milk


I've been trying to make myself like almond milk for years now. While it is a healthy alternative when dairy isn't an option, but the boxed stuff has a funny texture, (due to all the thickeners I suppose), and usually contains synthetic vitamins as well. I'm all about DIY, but often homemade almond milk just tastes like nut-water. After experimenting with several different additions, I've hit on a winner and now make delicious almond milk that is as good over granola as it is straight out of the glass. The secret ingredient? Coconut milk. Just a little bit adds some healthy fat and greatly improves the texture. It is rich and creamy, and doesn't separate when heated, although you will want to give it shake if it's been in the fridge for a while.

To make
Soak 1/2 cup whole almonds overnight in filtered water. In the morning, drain and rinse, then add them to the blender with 2 cups water, 1/4 cup coconut milk, and a pinch of salt (crazy, right? But you really need it to round out the flavor). Blend the heck out of it, then strain through a clean tea towel and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.

You can compost the left-over almond meal, but why not save it and use for muffins or other baked goodies? I keep a small bag in the freezer and when it fills up, I'll dehydrate the almond meal for a couple hours until it's crumbly. I use a dehydrator, but you could easily do it in your oven on a low heat setting, say 200 or below. Check after 30 minutes or so and stir occasionally until dry. Scoop the almond flour into a clean container and store in the freezer for future use.


What is your favorite alternative milk? 


No comments:

Post a Comment